Eaa inspection

EAA Inspection: For Uganda and Tanzania Imported Cars

The EAA Inspection is a process by which a vehicle can be assessed for road use in the country where it was made, as well as having to comply with Japanese standards and regulations. The EAA inspection is required for all vehicles imported into Japan that are over 25 years old but not more than 60 years old.

EAA Inspection for used cars

Used cars are considered to be in good condition if they have not been involved in any accident or damaged, and the odometer shows no excessive mileage. The EAA inspection is a compulsory drive-by check to ensure that used cars meet these requirements. This inspection must be done by a joint venture company licensed by Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO).

Required Documents for EAA Inspection in Tanzania

  • Passport
  • Driving license
  • Proof of ownership (title) and registration for the vehicle you are bringing in for inspection by the EAA officer. The EAA officer will inspect the title to ensure that it matches the documents provided by the importer. You should have these with you when you arrive at the port, or they can be sent separately by mail or courier service. If they were not issued by Tanzania’s Ministry of Transport and Communication, then they will need to be authenticated before being accepted as valid proof of ownership and/or registration.
    • Insurance certificate showing coverage for any damage caused during shipment/delivery into Tanzania; also includes transportation costs incurred if applicable.
    • Residence permit in Tanzania (if applicable). This can be obtained from Immigration Services Offices located throughout cities such as Dodoma, Dar Es Salaam etc.; however some expats may find it easier just to apply online.

Required Documents for EAA Inspection in Uganda

  • Passport
  • Vehicle registration certificate
  • Proof of ownership (certificate, bill of lading)
  • Proof of insurance

How to get an appointment from JEVIC (Tanzania) or AA Japan (Uganda)?

  • You need to call JEVIC or AA Japan and make an appointment.
  • You will need to bring the car in for inspection.
  • You will also need a copy of your passport, driver’s license and registration documents for your car (the registration number).

How to get a certificate from JEVIC (Tanzania) or AA Japan (Uganda)?

To get a certificate from JEVIC or AA Japan, you need to visit their website and book an appointment. You will also need to bring all your required documents along with you. If you pass the inspection, they will issue a new certificate; if they fail the inspection, they can re-book an appointment for another day in the future.


We hope this article has helped you understand the process of getting an EAA inspection in Uganda and Tanzania. We would like to thank you for visiting our website and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.